The Basitin (IPA(key) /bæsˈɛˈtɪn/) species encompasses two separate cultures, both of which live on the Basidian Islands. The Eastern Basitins, living on the Western Isles, are the more technologically advanced of both Basitin cultures, relying on ideals of military discipline and obedience to their superiors. Details about the Western Basitin living on the Eastern Isles are scarce, but it seems they still live with a tribal-like culture. The two races are biologically the same species, all being Basitin; they appear to rarely interact, mainly due to the Eastern Basitins seeing the Western Basitins as intellectually inferior and the hostility towards any outsiders in their territory.
Physical Appearance[edit | edit source]
Most Basitins look like one another, bearing shades of gray/taupe colored fur and hair, with some extraordinary cases of black amongst the Western Basitins. Basitins are an anthropomorphic race, based on the real-world animal species of feline and lagomorph (rabbit) characteristics. Although they have a strong resemblance to Keidran, they are not biologically the same and could not procreate, unlike different variants of Keidran, which are implied.
Physiology[edit | edit source]
Traits and Species Differences[edit | edit source]
Basitins are a race of short, furred bipedal mammals. Although they bear a resemblance to the Keidran race, they are—in fact—very different. Keidran have an average life span of about 20 years, whereas a Basitin lives an average of 60 years. Also, Basitins have impressive immune systems and unusually resilient bodies, capable of withstanding most poisons and diseases. Basitin culture is insular and highly militarized, with young Basitin indoctrinated into the military at the ripe age of seven and trained extensively in the numerous forms of combat.
As a race, the Basitans are divided into two main nations: Eastern and Western; Eastern Basitins are typically even-tempered and highly disciplined, whereas little is known about the Westerners, other than the more tribalistic culture. Both nations are said to be engaged in an extended conflict that they highly enjoy and go to efforts to prolong it (enough that they will not follow up a successful offensive if one side looks likely to lose ground). Genders are separated and live in different districts of the city. Basitins have a week set aside each year for reproduction. Besides that, sex is illegal. Basitins are very strict about dress and conduct codes in both public and private. Taken from the March 9th, 2007 comic transcript: Keith: "Sorry, Flora. The feet, ankles, the base of the tail, and between the legs are what we consider nudity here." In Eastern Basitin Society, the general chest area, as well as limbs, are commonly expected to be covered. Public displays of affection, such as embraces, are considered taboo.
Basitins are naturally unable to use magic. When trying to use magic, Basitins will be mentally damaged, and this can affect their brain to the point of being mentally unable to speak.
Politics, Laws, and Society[edit | edit source]
Eastern Basitin[edit | edit source]
- Eastern Basitin society is controlled using a strict military-like rank structure headed by the King; the King title is used regardless of sex. Unlike a typical King, the position is not given by relation but earned by power. When the current King passes away, a tournament is held where adult Basitins are allowed to compete for the position. Although the exact details of the tournaments are unknown, they do seem to involve a series of sparring matches. The next in the chain of command after the King are the three Generals: The Arms General, the most physically capable Basitin; the Intelligence General: the most experienced and scholarly Basitin; and the Master General, the General which presumably acts as the overall leader of the three. What follows can be assumed to be a similar format of a real-world army.
- All Eastern Basitin are genetically predisposed to be loyal to a fault, there is little need to enforce discipline, and all orders are acted upon regularly without question. The East's military exercises are absolute, and all Basitin must participate in training and service under Easter Basitin law; Eastern Basitin civilians do not exist. However, after a Basitin reaches an age or position where they are unfit to fight, such as Roran, or otherwise provide a critical service like a doctor, they may be exempt from service after a certain point.
- Under the rule of the current Basitin King, King Jade Adelaide, she may be steering the Kingdom to be slightly more liberal, but the King downplays her options in front of her subordinates.
- Keith Keiser is the current and first official Basitin ambassador to be appointed, which seems to suggest that Eastern Basitins are becoming a little more open to foreign relations.
- Somewhat surprisingly, the Eastern Basitin have no particular prejudices—despite lack of contact—against Humans or Keidran, this is provided they follow the Basitin codes of conduct during their stay on the Isles, which ironically means they show more prejudice towards their Western counterparts. Stereotypes still exist, such as on Page 544, when an unnamed Basitin doctor assumed that Flora didn't know the father of her unborn baby, due to Keidran's apparent reputation to sleep with whoever they can.
- The Eastern Basitins have an alliance with the Humans but do not seem to want to be involved with the ongoing war between them and the Border Wolf Keidran. The state of the alliance is currently unclear after the Templar, a group that seems the represent the Humans in a variety of ways, attempted to take control of the Eastern Basitin Kingdom with an insider plot.
- Eastern Basitins are very mindful of privacy. Ankles are considered a form of nudity and must be covered up with foot wraps of you were to walk around without shoes. Touching a Basitin's ears is considered very inappropriate, as it represents a deep connection. Ear touching should only be done between significant others or between a parent and their young child.
- Eastern doctors operate while blindfolded as a means of respecting privacy. According to one doctor's account, Basitins can be extremely prideful and typically do not seek medical attention to appear tough. The added factor of exposure would only serve to elevate the problem.
- Gold is a scarce resource on the Isles, making Human currency highly valued, and the exchange rate high with the Eastern Basitins.
- The public opinion on homosexuality or other alignments is unclear, as Eastern Basitin society is not that interested in romance, and they are more focused on reproduction. Cases have shown to possibly exist, such as with Nickolai Alaric, but overall, little has appeared. When Karen Madelyn talks about what it means to touch a Basitin's ears, she says that it's a sign of affection between lovers or parents and younger children but then states that it should certainly never be between two females. This could suggest that homosexuality is slightly frowned upon amongst Basitins.
Western Basitin[edit | edit source]
- Very little is known about Western Basitins, other than the very different tribalistic culture, compared to the uniform military culture of the East; Eastern Basitins don't appear to share the same physiological need to receive orders like their counterparts.
- Western Basitins do not have the same care for privacy that their Eastern counterparts do. Western Basitins seem to walk happily in light garments.
Both Basitin[edit | edit source]
- Both Basitin races seem to share the same extremes of maintaining tradition, and it is extraordinarily rare for them to endorse any alien ideas into their lands.
- Both Basitins hold a form of animosity for the other, whether it be the East seeing the West as tribal savages or the West seeing all outsiders as hostile, including the East.
Language[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In the non-canon Side Sketches, the idea of "Northern Basitins" is introduced on a few occasions. Where these Basitins inhabit is unknown, whether the Basitin Isles are much bigger and feature a more snowy and mountainous area for them to live or another place besides the Basitin Isles is unknown. Northern Basitins seem to share the same military culture as Eastern Basitins, and they are similar to normal Basitins in appearance but with the notable difference of very long, thick fur to survive the colder conditions. Whether the Northern Basitins actually exist within the Twokinds universe is canonically unknown, and no evidence has suggested within the comic that they do exist; Northern Basitins are likely just a concept.
Appearances of Basitin